My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Heart Interacting With Government Agencies, Except Not Really

I've been getting lots of practice filling out forms and filing applications and running around government buildings which only allow me to bring in one (ONE!) diaper with my baby (thank you, US Consulate).

Throw this at ya:
Hernan's immigration paperwork
Hanix's Mexican paperwork (birth certificate, health card, etc.)
Hanix's American paperwork (passport, birth abroad certificate, etc.)
My paperwork to get a residency visa (including registering our marriage in Mexico)
Plus, hello! IRS wants to know why I didn't file taxes back in '03 or '04.

Fan. Tastic.

I didn't file back then because I was a student and was earning approximately, give or take, more or less, ballpark figure, rounded to the nearest dollar, about "jack".

Turns out they got it in their heads that I had earned my father's income, because he was still claiming me as a dependent back then. Let me assure you, one and all, that that was not the case. So, plus fees and fines and interest, they reckoned out a debt of more than 16,000 dollars.

And they've been withholding my 2008 refund.

Makes me so mad. I need that refund! I'm broke, damnit! I have no 16,000 US dollars to give up. Give me my measly refund so I can buy tortillas!

Jerks.

This all kind of came to a head right around Hanix's birth, but has been stewing ever since, what with Mexico's rapid mail system and all. Plus the IRS can't seem to figure out where I live even though I've thrice given them my address. Maybe they just don't want to pay the extra postage, so they just keep sending my mail to my folks' place.

I will say that it seems to be settling down now. They've agreed I didn't have to file for 2003, and for 2004 they're assessing me fees and fines and interest and spankings summing just under 300 US Dollars, which I also don't really have, but not in the same way I don't have 16,000. So I consider this a win.

And hopefully one of these days I'll be seeing my 2008 refund. Wish I could charge them interest on that. And late fees.

So tired of dealing with government agencies.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a lot of crap. I also hate going into the US consulate, that is why I hope to get my drivers lic renewed during my visit to the States. So can you post something explaining in detail your residency paperwork. I have to renew my FM2 next month and I'm thinking we may ask if I can just get a perm res now that Iv been here a year and am married to a Mexican. What were the legalities on this for you. The bad thing is every immigration office kinda does things their own way but maybe if we can say we heard we could do this or that they might cave.

    ReplyDelete