My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fishing For Criminals?

So I took Hanix, my giant baby, for a walk today. Sported him in the Baby Bjorn carry pack thang my sister sent me. I frickin love carry packs for babies. The hands free thing is just a bonus. The real deal is that I can no longer carry my baby in my arms for any significant period of time without my arms going numb. I should probably start working out so I keep up with his weight gain.

Anyway, this post is not about my baby or my weak mom arms. This post is about police fishermen. As in: I walked down to the malecon (boardwalk thing), and the only people down there were two men fishing. They were each holding a coke bottle, around which they had wrapped some kind of wire or twine, to the ends of which were attached hooks, I assume. Coke bottle in one hand, they would swing the loose end of the wire laso-style in the air and then toss it out into the lake.

The funny part of this is that both men were police officers dressed in full uniform. Full uniform down here means they had big ol' rifles slung over their backs.

Oh how I wish I'd had my camera!

It just makes me wonder... were they on duty? I assume so, given their fancy getups and their rifles! So... were they bored and thought, "Hey, let's go see if there's any crime happening at the malecon. Plus we can pick up dinner." Or maybe, "Hey, partner, it's lame we haven't gotten to shoot anything all day, let's go catch some fish and then shoot 'em." Or perhaps, "The people in this town or so poor, we'll have better luck getting bribes from the fish in the lake."

Who knows? I certainly wasn't going to ask.

2 comments:

  1. haha... i love it! Apparently, since they didn't have any people to steal from, they had to bring home some sort of "bacon."

    ReplyDelete