My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Post About Mucking Around

Sometimes I hesitate to post the personal. I'm sure it'd be a lot more interesting if I got my lazy fingers to type up a nice piece about el dia de los muertos or our little jaunt to the coast. But then I remember that I'm selfish and I'm posting because that's what I feel like doing, and frankly it's other topics that are on my mind.

I guess in a lot of ways life has settled down here. I've become a whole lot more content being here, though maybe it's not so much contentment that I feel as acceptance or resignation. Or maybe I've just been happily distracted by visitors, friends from home who've kept my spirits buoyed. Or maybe I'm just too busy and too exhausted taking care of my baby to think about much else. Any way I spin it, I'm not living in the pits of woe I was in nine months ago.

Blogging has helped. I guess it's therapeutic. I always knew I was blogging for my own benefit not because I thought anyone else would be entertained much by what little I have to say. Still, I started blogging, and just getting it all out in English was a big help. And then, oh and then, I found all these other American women living in Mexico with their husbands, many of them with young kids, and they're all blogging away about all this crap we're all facing, and all the wonderful stuff too, and suddenly I had this weird feeling of community or that at least I wasn't alone. And misery: it sure do love its company. So here I am reading these other blogos every day, half the time the posts are about exactly what's been going on in my head, and I want to write one big "I know exactly what you mean!" comment over and over again, and "Thank you so much for blogging. It means so much to me." and suddenly I find myself, still not thrilled to be here, but somehow managing it a whole hell of a lot better.

And then there are all my amazing friends - who send me email or come visit or send little gifts for my fat man child, and every gesture, every laugh, means so much.

And maybe it's just time - that I'm getting used to living with cockroaches and rats and the smell of burning garbage and sewage in the streets and constant noise and sexism and machoism and being stared at and not having any friends down here, and having to explain and defend every assumption, value and opinion and just being really lonely. At least a little bit used to them. Those things still drive me crazy.

I'm still frustrated a lot of the time. It bothers me how Hernan forgot how to do any housework since moving back in with his mother, how he now expects me to do it all. I still have no idea what to do about him going out all the time with dudes and leaving me alone and lonely, and I have to nearly break his arm just to hang out with me, because I used to think we enjoyed each other's company. It's hard that I feel like the freak all the time because I don't have anyone who shares my persectives on child raising (or anything else), and I feel like a bad mother for holding my baby "too much", for nursing him, for using cloth diapers. And I wish I had friends here. And I wish I had money and a job. And I wish sometimes for a whole lot of things.

But then I know too that I'm handling those things better than when I first got here. That I've come to really value the company of my in-laws, and I'm daily thankful I like them so much, and they're so accepting of me, and that my little Hanix can grow up with a big, loving family. And I've started liking a lot of things about being here and maybe I'm a little less uptight than I used to be. And probably this is all character-building anyway, right? So I'll look back on it all and feel it was a good thing in the end. Right?

So why am I sharing this (unintersting, poorly written, overly-personal) brain fart with you all? (Because I'm selfish. I think we alrady covered that.) Because (here's where I make up a reason for the time you just wasted reading it), in the end I guess we're all just mucking around in our lives, trying to make them satisfying and pleasing, or maybe noble and good, or maybe just entertaining. But somehow we're trying to do it right. And for me to "do it right", this whole living business, I guess I've needed a lot of practice and a lot of support. The practice I'm still getting, but the support I've had. So I guess, in a way, this is one big "thank you" to all the great people who've been rooting for us, and to all the strangers who support me by sharing their stories. And I guess I'm just saying I'm trying not to let you all down, and I swear I'm starting to get the hang of it.

6 comments:

  1. I have been, and continue to be, *amazed* by your resiliency and strength. Amazed, impressed, and generally in awe... yep, that's me.

    And then (while we're being personal) there are my feelings towards the way Hernan's behavior has changed... I realized just how strong a cultural pull can be, especially if it's the culture you were raised in. And I'm sure he's just trying to survive, too. I mean, no one is perfect, so no one that we marry is perfect. But damn, the thought of you being left at home alone with the baby makes me want to let loose some tiny squirrel fists of fury all over your lovely husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, your strength and resiliency is really inspirational, and I really love reading about your day to day life, everything you're encountering, and your tiny little man giant :) I think the internet and blogging can be pretty amazing at bringing people together, making you feel not so alone, and I love it for that.

    Ooooh I just noticed the link to my blog on the right, that's awesome, thank you!!

    <3 lots of love. This will only make you stronger. It takes a certain amount of courage to blog this too, and it's good you're getting it out of your head - and getting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was not poorly written! (Just getting that out of the way first.) I loved the honesty in this post. I think we've all felt moments of dread about what the hell we're doing in Mexico, and whether any of this will actually work out in the end. You deserve major props for moving to a small town and deciding to raise a child without knowing anyone besides your hubby's family. (And without having mastered the language!) I know you may be lonely where you are, but you have a fan in Mexico City.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....To much to say.... But well you know, and I think that's what part of this post was about. I do need to tell you that after my trip to the States I missed my Mexico home so much. And when I got back I decided to stop freaking out so much about the roaches and other down sides. They still suck and I will still fight them but life goes on and I'm happy to be living with my husband. Thanks for the honesty its always good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cate - to be fair, Hernan's got it hard too. He sure doesn't like being here either, and I know he has a lot of new stresses in his life. I'm pretty sure that if I suddenly found myself in a situation where everyone around me (save one, maybe) expected that I not lift a finger in the house, and I had a willing and competent cook and house cleaner, I too would most certainly give up those chores. Especially the laundry. As for going out - I don't really get it, except I know that that's what the men here seem to do. It's definitely one of the most frustrating things for me about life here. Interestingly, we've found a niche in which I "get" to hang out too: playing Cities and Knights of Catan (go figure) with Hernan's 16 year old brother and certain other teenage boy cousins. I haven't hung out with teenage boys since I was a teenage girl, but I take what I can get. Still, though, we both need to be helping each other out with the challenges we face, and Hernan certainly hasn't been very good at doing that. Maybe if I threaten him with your squirrel fists he'll shape up! :) And you're one fierce lady, so I'm glad to hear you've got my back!

    Jess - thanks! And you're right, the Internet is great.

    Lesley - Thanks for the props. And these kinds of connections are just the icing on the cake that blogging delivers. :)

    Amanda - welcome back. I know just what you mean about missing Mexico. I was just up in the States too, and part of me wanted to stay, but part of me was crazy missing my HOME. I think that's exactly what I needed to realize though: I AM making the choice to be here, every day, and it's hard, but it's worth it to be with Hernan. He may drive me nuts sometimes, but I love him enough to put up with the little annoyances I tend to vent about so often. I'm right there with ya, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vadose-Thank you for blogging I am contemplating moving to Mexico and it helps to hear another persons views. I have visited where my husband lives for the last 20 months. I can so relate to all the things you say about the culture!

    ReplyDelete