My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Machetes


Even in Mexico we have to keep the grass cut. While in San Juan there are no lawns (this isn't actually true. There are lawns. But mostly they only exist in the rich people's vacation homes and are hidden from view by high walls topped with glass shards) we do have grass that grows along the highways, and this grass needs trimming from time to time.

Certainly, the easiest way to tend to the problem of tall grass is to sic your burros, horses, goats, and cows on it. This isn't always feasible, however, since burros, horses, goats, and cows often wander where they're not meant to go, like into the highway.

Just three days ago I saw a policeman herding a cow off of the highway. (See, they do work!)

So a better solution? Machetes.

I'm sure it's not true, but I like to believe that every Mexican owns a machete. This must not be true, because I'm sure many, if not most, though certainly not all, city people don't own said multi-purpose instrument. It probably is true, however, of San Juan Cosalá residents, and I think it's great. Remind me to acquire one for Hanix.

The machete is a very useful tool. My father-in-law owns at least one, as does my brother-in-law. I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law can wield one handily, and Hernan somehow acquired one almost immediately after we arrived. I'm certain that even his grandmother could use one, no problem. That's just how things are here.

I see people walking around with machete in hand all the time. I've seen old, wizened men using them as canes. I swear. And once a man threatened Hernan and his brother with one when they were little boys, to which, by the way, my mother-in-law responded by hefting the family's shotgun. The gun is gone, but the machetes we still have.

I've seen them used to hack open coconuts. I've seen them lashed to poles to harvest fruit. I've seen them used to cut firewood. I've seen them used, as I mentioned above, as walking aids. But of course, they're most useful for clearing brush, which brings me back to the topic of grass.

Around here, when the highway grass needs cutting a group of men go to with machetes.

I understand this approach better for lawns, which usually occupy a small space. For the kilometers of roadside grass, however, I'm really impressed. I'm sure it's very hard work, so I hope those men are paid well (though I'm sure they aren't) and I hope they get a back massage at the end of the day (I'm sure they don't).

Now, please enjoy my poem.


Machete

Machete, oh! machete
Clear away the brush
For with all these growing things
It was a bit too lush.
Machete, oh! machete
Cut down grass and vines and trees
Clear me a swath as wide as the world
So that I may walk with ease.

1 comment:

  1. both my boys got machetes on their last birthdays. i really don't even want to begin to imagine what they do with them. :)

    ReplyDelete