My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Worse Than Full House

Saturday, my husband's pregnant teenage cousin showed up at our house. This was a shock to all of us. As far as we all knew she was in California, living with her parents, and, uh, not pregnant. Guess what, she needs a place to stay.

I think a roll call is in order.

We've got me. (Hi, how ya doing?)
We've got my hubs.
We've got baby bubs.
Then there's mom-in-law,
Pa-in-Law,
Teenage bro-in-law, too.
96 year old Grandma (who pooped on a plate this morning. Thank you.)
And now preggers Cousin + fetus

AND our part-time residents,
Bro-in-law who has breakfast and lunch here six days a week,
His baby daughter, who's here about sixty hours a week,
Eight-year-old nephew, who's here during the mornings and sometimes at night, too,
and sometimes we get sister-in-law or her boyfriend or the other sister-in-law.

And there are usually some cousins around, especially the weekends.

Nuclear family, we are not. And I guarantee we don't have group hugs at the end of every episode day.

I'm so glad I have my own casita upstairs for the three of us. People still wander up all the time (I've got to remember to keep my pants on), but it's still nice having my own shower.

We'll see what happens with New Cuz. I guess I've got a lot to say, but I'm holding my tongue for now.

10 comments:

  1. This reminds me of living above my mother in law's store and house for several months. We had our little "casita" upstairs too! One morning I heard lots of children's voices down below and when hubby came back up the steps to our room, I asked him straight up, how many babies are downstairs already today? He started to count them off and when he ran out of fingers, I told him "I'm not going downstairs until they're all gone. I can't take it anymore." I had violent diarrhea and projectile vomiting (eewww), and I just didn't have it in me to put up with all those screaming children. Later, my mother in law was shocked to hear that I was taking a shower. She told hubby to tell me that showering after diarrhea would make me swell up and die. I figured I was going to die anyway, so I might as well die with a clean behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! Sending lots of patience dust your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am convinced you have the patience of Job. Wish I could say the same for myself, but our one nephew here is worth 10 wild Mexican children. After half an hour I'm shooing him out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl I dont know how you do it. I love to visit our family and love for them to all be crammed in my place but I love even more the quiet after we or they leave. I dont think I could do it I agree with the patience of Job comment. You are doing great. Oh and maybe you shouldnt hold what you have to say, you are a great mother and she could learn a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail - I can relate! And the showering! Before coming to Mexico, I never knew just how dangerous showering was. Yes, I've almost killed my son countless times for showering him while he's sick, during wintertime, when it's windy outside, after eating fruit, etc. It's amazing people like us survive!

    Rebecca, Leah, Amanda - thanks! Well, being able to retreat upstairs is what keeps me sane. I look forward to one day moving OUT. :) That day is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, All I can say is that SUCKS ASS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha the grandma thing made me laugh my 96 year old grandmother once made it down the road with ONLY tissue boxes on her feet. Yup buck ass naked and two tissue boxes. We thought that taking away her shoes would deter her from escaping. Think again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vadose--yeah, it's truly amazing we're not dead already! And your baby has made it through all those lethal showers, being exposed to the evil night-air without a hat, not wearing socks and shoes 24/7, and not being bundled up in a snowsuit when it dips to 65 degrees outside. (Have you noticed all the Mexican babies wrapped up in snow-suits and blankets?)

    Oh I almost forgot, I've also survived eating seafood after 3pm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe there's something special God has in store for you to learn from her or for you to some way impact her life. Lord knows she must have something crazy going on and the kindness of a gringa might show her a thing or two that she needs to see - or, maybe it just sucks, but I'll hope for the best for all of you :)

    Aaaaand good luck with Grama! Mi Suegro, pobrecito is able to find the bathroom but not the toilet (almost blind) so I kinda hear you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Went through just about the same thing in Valles, I can understand...and had to share a kitchen with all those folks is not an easy task! Thank goodness for your safe haven above! Yeah, maybe you can help her in some sort of way!

    ReplyDelete