My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Monday, May 17, 2010

El Lago De Camecuaro

To celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday, I suggested we take a family day trip to El Lago de Camecuaro (Camecuaro Lake), a national park in the neighboring state of Michoacan.

You might wonder why we bothered to drive six hours round trip to go to ... a lake, when we live about 50 feet* from one. But then I would remind you that our lake is super polluted and nasty and that raw sewage runs straight into it, and then you would stop wondering.

Lake Camecuaro, though, is pretty. The water is super clear. I was in deep enough that I couldn't touch the lake bottom, but I could still see every stick and rock down there. I was happy to enjoy the water without worrying about emerging as a mutant.

The trees are beautiful. Their thick trunks grow in twisty turning angles, and the roots are a jumble both on the land and in the water. If anyone knows what those trees are called, please let me know.

The water is cold. Not everyone wanted to get in. I summoned the shreds of my Oregon pride and dove in. The water was delicious.

This was actually my second time there. We went last August, too, while my sister was visiting. I wish we were closer, because it's so nice to get in the water!

I will say that the place is a great deal more park-like than I anticipated. I guess I think of "going to the lake" to be a very natural experience. This place is definitely A Park. If you go, you'll probably encounter gads of people, almost all Mexican, many probably from Morelia. Many will be playing music, quite possibly a certain song you hate. There are vendors that walk around molesting you to buy a statue of Jesus on the cross. Hordes of children will scream as they run right over your picnic blanket. One side of the lake has restaurants. Another corner has a sizable playground.

Speaking of the playground... yours truly got a stern reprimand for playing on the structures. I took Hanix for his first slide ride. Then we got crazy and I sat down on a swing with him in my lap. Well, not five seconds later, a terribly serious-looking guard came over and made me get off the swing. At first, he wouldn't even talk to me. He just wagged his finger at me and looked at me like I had just spit on baby angels with acid monster saliva. So I got up. But I stared at him, because, seriously? I can't take my baby on the swing? But he had been giggling! Who stops a giggling baby?

So then he said (in Spanish) "No, no. No. Only kids. No." Alright. I get it. Bad dog. I'm a sore loser, so I gave him a dirty look and then laughed at him, to show him that, you know, he is without joy in this world, and I took my nephew and my baby and his adorablitude away.

So unless you have your heart set on swings, I recommend the lake for a pleasant afternoon.

True story.


* I'm a terrible judge of distance, so it might be more or less than that, but basically it's right there, you know. So don't mock me if you know that I'm wrong about this.

10 comments:

  1. My guess on the trees, without being able to see the leaves and judging only from how the trunks and roots look, is Bald Cypress. My other guess is some type of mangrove tree. Though I'm leaning more toward cypress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cypress of some kind, but I don't see the "knees" characteristic of the bald cypress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Anon, I too was looking for the knees and didn't see them. I raised my kids on 5 acres of swamp land on Bayou Manchac in Louisiana, so yeah, I was looking for the knees as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could be that the knees have all been worn down by the sheer multitude of the numbers of visitors? I know in Louisiana people raid the knees to use for arts and crafts stuff. Somebody gave me a Santa carving made from a cypress knee years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swing....That is when i would of pulled my "I'm sorry I dont speak spanish" card and smiled and kept swinging! Beautiful place...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "without worrying about emerging as a mutant" - You're hilarious.

    And the swing guard - sounds like Mexico, but what a douche anyways.

    Okay and confession, I've been behind on blog reading since Daisy was born but lately have been able to go back and read a bunch of your posts - and wow. Just WOW I'm so not-gay on love with you!! Every time you write about the gringa-mommy club or the things Mexicans say to Moms it makes me smile like a fool! Everything you write rings true and I SOOOO get the same stuff! I LOOVEE that you write about it and I hope you keep it up! :)

    I'm going to be able to go home for a visit in the next month or so and am truly curious if it'll be like you say about the parents-club being so different in the U.S. I'm excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gringa - Yay! I'm so glad someone else gets benefit from all my ranting and raving. ^^ Mostly I just need a place to get it all out, but it's totally bonus that someone else can relate. That's what I miss: having other people understand what I'm going through. Which is probably why I love this li'l blogging community we've got going on. Thanks for the feedback!

    Have fun on your trip! Let me know if they've got the parent club where you're going. ^_-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it lake Chapala that is polluted? Interesting i kinda wanted to go there sometime, but maybe i will skip it. There are lots of nice lakes near where my husband lives. '

    Oh and i got yelled at in PV for taking my son down the slide. Kids only...oops

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca - They say it's not so bad, and I do see people in the water fairly often. However, since I can SEE the raw sewage streaming into the lake, I choose to keep out of it. If you have better lakes, go there. There are some nice lakeside restaurants here, and I hear the fish they serve is shipped in from elsewhere, which is pretty sad, but maybe for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Known as Ahuehuete in Mexico, their Latin name is Taxodium mucronatum, and the English common name is Montezuma cypress. One of them is thought to be the largest single tree on the planet, the Tule tree in the village of Santa Maria del Tule south of Oaxaca.

    ReplyDelete