My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Macho, Macho Man!

There are many a thing in this world of which I am a fan, such as eating, bicycles, mummies, and shuffleboard. Machismo, though, is not a thing of which I am a fan. Machismo is a thing by which I am frustrated.

Most frustrating is the fighting, but that I'll save for another post. Today you get to read all about housework.

Women love cleaning. It's a fact. We can't get enough of it. It's our instinct. Quitting my job and becoming a housewife and mother has pretty much fulfilled all of my innate desires. Cloud Nine.

The occupation of housewife is made all the more stimulating by the following factors: (1) I up and had a baby. (2) The side of the highway is an incredibly dusty, dirty place. (3) Our house is "open" to the outdoors, and all that dirt and filth just comes sashaying right in, asking for a cocktail and a footstool. (4) Weak washing machine + laundry lines. (5) All meals must be prepared basically from scratch. (6) Men do no housework ever. (7) My mother-in-law and I are far out-numbered.

So, it's the two of us against my father-in-law, his mother, my husband, his two brothers, my eight-year-old nephew, and the two babies (my mother-in-law watches my niece six days a week). Three meals a day for some seriously picky eaters. Laundry. Mopping. Blah, blah, blah. It's really fascinating, isn't it? Shall, I blog more about mopping? I know it's captivating. Shut up, you love it!

Anyway, this wouldn't be so bad, except the men are all macho guys, who need extra special care. As in, they can't serve themselves food. No, really. My father-in-law and brother-in-law can't serve themselves. My mother-in-law has to. And she's not supposed to start eating until she's served them and her mother-in-law their plates. Then, if they want second helpings, she has to jump up and serve them that as well.

My father-in-law is a very traditional man. He's a farmer. He bathes once a week before going to mass. If my mother-in-law is not at home, he doesn't know how to reheat the meal she left for him in the microwave or warm tortillas. He's probably never washed a dish. He taps cigarette ash onto the floor and throws the butts there, too.

My brother-in-law is married, but because his wife isn't home to make him breakfast or lunch, he comes to his mother's house every day. She'll be busy watching his daughter, making lunch, serving her husband, and who knows what all, but he'll still call to her from the table that he wants her to bring him a glass for his soda. He has never changed his own daughter's diaper.

I thought Hernan and I had been making progress when we lived in California. He sometimes helped around the house and occasionally cooked, particularly if friends were over to witness it. But now, living in Macholand, with his mother (no less!) that's all over. Now he can't let anyone witness him cleaning or picking up after himself, because the other men will ridicule him. He can't even carry plates to the sink outside (the kitchen itself has no running water, so the sink is outside). That's women's work. If I don't launder his clothes, he carries them downstairs to his mother.

I don't really care how the other men in the family behave. It's between them and my mother-in-law. They understand that I'm one of those modern women and a bad wife, which is pretty much exactly what I want them to think. It's my husband who's in the doghouse. I feel like the victim of a bait-and-switch, so I call him off all the time. He comes home and says, "Baby, I'm hungry" and then sits down to watch soaps on TV. So I say, "Alright. Well, I'm feeding our baby, and then I'm giving him his bath, and getting him ready for bed, and getting him to sleep, and about a hundred other things, so unless you feel like helping me you can have yogurt for dinner." But this never results in him lending a hand, because by the time I come back downstairs to my in-laws place, I see that his mom has made him dinner and he's already eaten.

So it's me that gets yogurt for dinner.

There are macho things I do like, I suppose, like how my husband can build and fix things and how he's great at killing cockroaches and rats. But mostly macho makes me mad.

The other day, while we were seated for lunch, my mother-in-law came in from the kitchen to ask what is was she'd been yelled at to bring in. Hernan told her, "Forks!" and she went back to the kitchen to get them. I looked at him and said, "What? You don't have any legs or something?" And then immediately realized that he had only been repeating what his brother had said. Naturally, my brother-in-law assumed I was criticizing him, so he got real quiet and confused. Everyone was kind of amazed that I'd just called him off, since nobody calls him off for anything. Ever.

After a few seconds everyone realized what had just happened, and since then the new joke in the family is to ask my brother-in-law whether he has legs or not. I'm glad it didn't cause a family rift, but my inadvertent criticism hasn't effected any changes either.

Ah well. So it goes.

9 comments:

  1. If the men only bathe once a week, they probably don't mind what blows in off the streets. They seem to have accepted you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should secretly (I know, this is a fantasy) finance a vacation for your mother-in-law only, then sit back and watch the others flounder.

    Gah! This post makes me REALLY ANNOYED on your behalf. Hang in there... or don't- you and your cute baby can live with us! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, Leah. I tell everyone that my son is going to learn to use power tools and the stove both. They just think I'm nuts. What's new? ^.^

    After re-reading this post, I should probably add a note that my husband is quite a lovely and wonderful man, and I am extraordinarily fond of him. I'm just not entirely fond of some of the changes that moving to Mexico has brought on. I don't mean to criticize him so much as to point out one of the cultural differences that has been most challenging for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could read about mopping ALL DAY LONG!! It is SOSOOOOO crucial here in Mexico, I don't think people have any idea how important it is here. I sure didn't when I moved here 5 years ago. Sweep, mop with cloro, then mop with fabuloso (para que brille) ;) Oh man, I grew up in a house with carpet so we just vacumed. So different.
    And I am just too irritated because I am in the same almost exact situation to even comment on the machismo thing ;) Suerte!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vadose - I hear ya about the hubby, no doubt he is probably a wonderful guy at heart. Mine is also very good-hearted. But when his mother insists on doing everything for him, he regresses. Not that he's bad, but she enables him to behave that way. This isn't something you should have to learn to put with. Cultural differences or not, I'll be damned to have to treat my husband as helpless child. My MIL can be great but she needed to learn boundaries. Eliminate the option of going to mama and he will quickly come back to being a grown, independent adult man. :-)

    I struggled with this for about the first 7 months before things started to really turn around. It can be done! Buena suerte, amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon - I'm not worried about keeping the house clean for their sake. It's my crawling baby I'm thinking of. :)

    Amber - I'd love that! Except she's a "good" wife and mother and would leave everything prepared for them, plus arrange to have someone come over to heat the tortillas and do the washing up.

    Leah - Yes. I know. As long as we live with my innies this is bound to be an issue for me!

    Nikki - Hi! Welcome to my ranting. :) I'm totally with you on the mopping. I try to convince people that it's necessary to mop (at least once) every day, especially during the dry season. I don't think people believe me. It's SO dirty here. It's not dust that settles on the floor and furniture in a matter of minutes, it's dirt. Also, my hubs tracks in sand on his work boots midday and then again at night. So, yeah, with a baby in the house, mopping is kind of a constant activity.

    Punchy - I am in awe of your 20 solutions. Twenty! I'm going to try them out one a night. In twenty days I'll report back. Thanks for making me laugh! And can you quit your job and move down here? Please? You know, all the smack I talk about San Juan is just for the blog. Actually, it's quite lovely here. You'd love it!

    Sunshine - I'm glad to hear you two figured out something that works for ya! I'm sure we'll get there. I guess I'm just gearing up to put my foot down. ^_-

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW girlie you've stirred 'em up with this post! LOL I did I mention already that I non-gay love you? I'm pretty sure I did. :D

    And YES! WOW! It's totally like that in my husbands family too! I was shocked - only a little though - to see that the wives serve the husbands and the Matriarch of the family serves like, EVERYBODY when they're all there AND she won't even EAT till they're all done. PLUS??? If there's not enough food they won't bother to save her any and after everyone is done she'll go around and eat the scraps off of thier plates! OHMYGAWD right??? After seeing that a few times I started helping her serve and started setting aside a plate for her and hiding it in the microwave. HAA! LOL then I don't get any food but whatever, I can stand to miss a meal or two and my husband usually watches out for me anyways.

    When I first saw all of the husband serving I thought it was kinda cool and started doing it for mine sometimes. It gives me a look-at-me-being-all-suzy-homemaker feel but I only do it when the spirit moves me and if I don't he damn well knows how to get his own food. AND fork - lol I LOVE that you asked if he had legs!! Right ON!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with one of your responses where you say he does try but its so easy to fall into the routine. I cant imagine how easy it would be for my husband if we lived with his family. We dont and I still had to tell him the other day that Im his wife and not his mom. Like when we went to swim all day, I was constantly putting sun screen on me and the girls and he saw me doing this. The next day when he was burned he asked why I didnt tell him to put some on. Your kidding me right? But like you said they were raised different and actually his mom isnt even half as bad as what Iv seen some ladies here. They really do need their grown children to need something from them constantly. Good luck with all this Im sure youll get a handle on it at some point, moving out would help but that may not be an option right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ay Dios mio! Totally sounds like my mother in law, father in law & brothers in law! When they were staying here with us that's how they were, as soon as they where hungry they would sit on the table and stare at my mother in law. Like WTH get up an d serve yourselves. It really used to get to me when the BIL would be in his room and start yelling at my mother in law so she could go to his room and he would be like "traime un vaso de agua" Like seriouly get your lazy but off and you go get it yourself. Once my son he was only 5 at the time, tried to pull the same on me and I was like "ah no levantate flojo yo no soy tu abuela tu ve por ella" and then I realized she was there and heard me hehe.
    My inlaws critize me a lot kuz my hubby is the one that does most of the cooking, and he helps me clean and helps a lot here at the house. Lo bueno that he is NOT like his dad or brothers at allm thank God.

    ReplyDelete