My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Evolution Shmevolution

39%. According to a Gallup poll earlier this year, only 39% of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Shock.

Not even half. Not even close to half! Oh, dear me.

25% report that they do not believe in evolution. More shock.

Thanks for leading me to this discovery, Jenny Jo.

I poked around the Interweb and found more mad statistics. It appears that there are hordes of non-believers all over Europe, too, just maybe not in as high proportions as in the good ol' U.S. of A. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9786-why-doesnt-america-believe-in-evolution.html

I then found this article http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/16178 which made me think well of Canadians with their whopping (still so small!) 59% of believers of evolution, until I read the rest of the article, which asserts that 42 percent of survey respondents believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed.

I wonder what percent of Mexicans believe in evolution.

Another great question is how well most people even understand the theory. I thought this article dealt well with the poll numbers: The Problem with Evolution Surveys.

Still, I'm surprised. I guess I need to get out of my bubble a whole lot more often.



1 comment:

  1. Exactly! You put it better than I did because all I could type was basically "shock". But I have nigh the same reaction as you: why do you think we need a new flu vaccine every year??

    Ah me, ah my! Why am I so unprepared for the world outside of my bubble?

    ReplyDelete