My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Adios"

I have a new tactic. I'm going to just say hello to everybody.

When the grandmothers sitting in front of their houses stare at me as I pass, I'll say hello.

When the group of neighbors falls silent as I approach, I'll say hello.

When I can't remember if I've met that man or not, I'll say hello.

When a woman sees me coming, says something to her friends and then they all turn and stare, I'll say hello.

When a group of men stare me down as I go by, I don't think I'll be saying hello, but you get the idea.

I've been trying this out and it may not win me friends, but everyone says hello back, and it's at least a lot more pleasant than being silently stared at.

I guess I should add that I might not say hello. I might be saying good bye, because "Adios" is my new favorite way to greet people in the street. It's like saying hello, but doesn't open you up for conversation. You can say it and just keep walking. I'm a fan.

2 comments:

  1. you can channel the beatles with their hello/goodbyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense to walk past someone and say "goodbye?" Is this one of those translation/culture things that I just don't get? Or are you just being goofy? :P

    But cool! And you're EXACTLY right! It opens people up - if just even for a second - to say hello back and maybe even throw you a smile for being friendly - WAY better than just being stared at. :)

    :P Of course if you do this in front of a jealous husband like I did last week in a grocery store it might back fire. But WHATEVER they'll just have to deal with it.

    Good luck !! :)

    ReplyDelete