My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

House Projects

Work on our house stalled for a while, because Hernan had work to do - the kind of work a person gets paid for. So not much has happened here since I got my fridge.

We've been working on plans to extend a deck out over the "patio" we have. Remember that we've been building on the roof of my in-laws place, so this "patio" is the sloped roof over their dining room. We're trying to find an affordable and relatively quick way to raise it to the height of our little casita and make it level.

Personally, I'm still pushing for a bathroom door (hello, neighbors!) and maybe some shelves in the kitchen.

Yesterday Hernan dug up a layer of the roof so he can put in a concrete beam to support a future wall. His folks place was built piecemeal over many, many years. It's kind of a quirky place. Much of it, the older parts, are made of adobe. That's what we dug up yesterday: dirt.


Blocks of dirt surrounded by concrete.

Here's another shot, so you can admire my potted plants in the background and the beer store sign from across the street.


This is the view from our kitchen.

At this moment, I hear lots of banging and other construction-y sounds coming from the roof over my bedroom. Hernan is up there, purportedly building a protective structure over our water heater and water pump. The winds we've been having keep blowing out the pilot light to the heater. It would be nice to not have to climb the ladder to relight it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment