My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Cats Looking For Sex

This last week we've been graced with a new obnoxious nocturnal sound. I'm used to the highway traffic, the roosters, the yelling, the beer store music, the banda next door, the dog fights, the bottle breaking and, yes, even the fireworks. I barely notice them anymore. Now we've got a new one: cats in heat.

Rrrrooooooooowwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The cats probably belong to Hernan's aunt who lives next door.

This morning my mother-in-law asked how I slept.

"Terribly" I said.

"Because of the cats?"

"No, because my baby is the sleepless wonder." (And for those of you impressed that I can say "sleepless wonder" in Spanish, I can't actually. Let's call this a "loose" translation.)

"Oh. Well those cats kept me up."

"It's because they're in heat, right?" (And since I don't know how to say "in heat" I said something more like, "looking for sex". Ha!)

"No. It's because they're hungry."

...? Really? You think that... oh! OH!......!

"Yes. They're hungry." Mother-in-law smiles at me. "I think I'll put some food out for them."

...

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law is going to poison our neighbors' cats.


It won't be the first time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! Poor kitties! Actually, I get a nightly dose of cat sex here in Reynosa. Rowrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete