My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mexican Communists

Apparently in Mexico if you own farmland but aren't growing any crops on it the communists can come take the land away from you so that the community can use it. This might not be true, but this is what my in-laws tell me. And "community land" can thereafter not be sold, though it can be "given away".

My husband's grandmother passed away in September. She left a very large parcel of land out on the highway past Jocotepec. An aunt informed us that a group of these so-called communists were out there making claims.

I am in no way familiar with Mexican law on this, but I doubt they'll lose the property. Interesting predicament, though.

2 comments:

  1. If you build on the land, even a small 1 room shack, its damn near impossible to get thrown off it. Also, paying the predial (land tax) and having a deed (escrituras) entitles you to shoot squatters (tresspassers). Put up a fence... post signs (propiedad privada). If its an "ejido" dont let it lie fallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't have a will, upon your death all that you own (land, house, truck, whatever) becomes property of the government. It sucks since most people are too poor to be able to pay a lawyer to get a will drawn up for them. Here there is no default automatic passing of property to the heirs. I too am married to a Mexican. He's from Celaya. We live in Patzcuaro (since 2005). I just found your blog. I love it. I would love to communicate by email, if you have time.

    ReplyDelete