My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

To Cure What Ails You

I went more than a year down here without any, er, digestive problems, the kind for which Mexico is famous. I thought maybe I'd become super-powered and immune, until I was twice struck down this winter. The following home remedies were suggested to me.

• Three raw eggs in a glass with LOTS of fresh lime juice. Add sugar to taste. Drink it down!

• Drink a small bottle of olive oil straight. Then drink a cup of mint tea. Apparently the kind of olive oil sold as a hair treatment is preferable to food-grade extra virgin.

• Corn starch mixed with lime juice and 7Up.

• Mix limestone, Coke and lard. Shake. Serve chilled. Mini drink umbrella optional.

• Eat a plate of guajes with the mid-day meal. (But you may have to sleep alone during the night. Gnarly gas will ensue.)

• Toss back a handful of coriander seeds and chase it with a beer.

• Pepto every three hours, and rub VicksVapo rub on your abdomen.


Now you're ready for Mexico!

On a related note, I recently saw a restaurant in Guadalajara by the name of "Restaurant Moctezuma". I wonder how many gringos they get in there.

4 comments:

  1. Heres one that works, i swear by it: 1/2 glass of coke and juice from 2-3 small limes. drink and be well

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wait. Are you talking about limestone, the rock, or limestone, as in the seeds of a lime? I'm fine with the lard+coke, cuz that makes total sense, but rocks? Don't be absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by "caffeinated" I mean "carbonated". And by "carbonated" I mean beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In another one of our astounding Mexico/India parallel life incidents, I've also been struck down twice recently with stomach ailments after being pretty ok for the year I've been here so far. My favorite home cure is, well, ciprofloxacin. With beer.

    ReplyDelete