My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Canned Beans - Say What?

I like to read other bloggers' posts about what they love about their lives in Mexico. I'm by no means content to live out my days in San Juan Cosalá, and the very thought fills me with fright, but I still appreciate a lot about life here.

Most of my examples of what I like about being down here, though, I've come to realize, can actually just be summed up by "I like my in-laws" and "I like having more time and no commute".

I like to stumble across other good things about life here. They're unexpected little presents. Today I found one hidden in my silverware Tupperware (Tupperware is to keep the roaches off my spoons, yo).

When I got here I couldn't believe that my mother-in-law didn't own a can opener. "Is she that poor," I thought, "that she can't even afford a can opener??"

I finally got it, though. This morning I was putting silverware away and saw my can opener buried under everything else. I realized - we hardly ever eat anything out of a can. She doesn't own a can opener because it would be pointless to have one around. There are a few canned foods we use on occasion, but these come with pulltops. Everything else, though, we eat fresh, from veggies, to our own boiled beans, to homemade soups. I'm so used to making my own pasta sauce from scratch, I don't even think twice about throwing a pot of tomatos on the stove to boil down.

That, I most definintely like about life here.

6 comments:

  1. They use a knife to open a can...which can be a very scarry sight to say the least. I was to scared to open a can with a knife....handed right on over to the Mom in law..no thanks here! But yo are sooo very right about not much food out of a can! Except pickled chili's...now we go through alot of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is definitely something to appreciate - I think about that often as I watch my recycling fill up with those tin cans ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't use much boxed food either. I did make Kraft macaroni and cheese the other night. Angeles, my stepdaughter, wanted to know "what is it?" You'd never hear that from an American kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True right!? And the gals in our family here have NEVER used a box-cake mix! OMG and can you EVER imagine eating CANNED salsa ever again! Gross right?!? And I used to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found it nice to back to a homemade -- from scratch -- way of life. Yesterday, we tried popcorn the homemade way with corn kernels and a big stock pot. mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the post, I think the main reason I have a can opener now is Lechera

    ReplyDelete