My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Hiking

Happy Solstice, y'all.

Yesterday we went for a hike in the mountains above San Juan. It was great. Turns out San Juan is way prettier from a distance. Even from the Racket Club, the gated community on the hill, San Juan looks a lot nicer, and the lake prettier too. From the very top of the mountain, it's stunning.

Hernan and eight teenage boys and Hanix and I hiked to the tip top of the mountains. I haven't done anything that could really count as physically challenging since probably August of 2009 (um, except childbirth, I s'pose) so I was prepared for some serious huffing and puffing and maybe a little dying. I was pleased that I managed to keep up, though I admit that was probably mostly out of pride, and the knowledge that if I pussied out I wouldn't ever be invited again. Hernan, of course, led the pack despite being saddled with Tubby Baby and suffering from TB, or Pneumonia, or Swine Flu or Dengue or whatever it is that's throwing a phlegm party in his lungs. Still, he couldn't get beat by a pack of teenage boys. Talk about macho.

Anyway, we ascended by trail through the cactus and scrubby brush, and up at the top is a grove of oak trees. It's beautiful. And the view of the lake is amazing. We could even see Guadalajara at one point!

Once at the top, the boys started a game of Hide and Go Seek, which is kind of adorable, since they're all teetering between boyhood and macho manhood. We had sandwiches and soda pop and then came back down the hill.

I really love hiking, and even though it maybe sorta kicked my ass, I'm getting ready to go again.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, we need to do something like this soon. I love hiking and there is so much opportunity for awesome trails here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds really nice, and the photos from there look great!!

    ReplyDelete