My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lessons From A Sales Woman

My mother-in-law owns a little shop she runs out of the front of our house. She sells all kinds of things, from baseball caps and hair gel to clothes pins and kids' toys. Every couple of weeks she has Hernan take her up to Guadalajara to buy more merchandise. We visit the marketplaces and street vendors, searching for bargains, and return laden with bags and bags and bags of stuff she can mark up for a few pesos. The profits are small, but she makes enough to put tortillas on the table.

Here are some things I learned today while accompanying her to Guadalajara.

1. Even if you're holding a baby and many large parcels, sprint across the street, because the taxi cabs will not slow down for you, though the driver may honk. He will hit you.

2. Even if you're holding a baby and many large parcels, get out of the way of the ladies with push carts. She will not slow down; she will not honk; she will hit you.

3. All women evidently fit into a B-cup bra size. This is the only size bra my mother-in-law sells in her shop and the only size we saw for sale in GDL.

4. Why wear tight jeans when you can wear spandex leggings designed to look like jeans?

5. Only buy baseball caps that come with tags and stickers. These indicate that the cap is new. Dudes in San Juan pay extra so they can sport caps with tags and stickers still attached.

6. Girls' clothing must be pink.

7. Next time bring snacks.

6 comments:

  1. Of course girls clothes are pink. Why would they wear any other color? Ha ha, I hope you wear a size B bra otherwise you're outa luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NYC all the guys wear caps with the stickers on them too....I never understood why, now I get it! Lessons from Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 on your list is my biggest problem with living in Mexico. I'm a big girl. I wear a 42DD! Do you know how frustrating it is to try to have a saleswoman try her hardest to convince you that your huge boobs can squeeze into a 38D bra? Not fun!!! I have to wait until either my sis-in-law comes to visit from the States or my suegra goes to the U.S. Also akward is trying to explain to your mom-in-law that you want a "sexy" bra to seduce her son! :D LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE!! The bras! FOR REAL!!! EEEEEEEEE!!! LMAO even here and across the border in TX (where all of the local mexicans cross to shop) they only sell B and if you're lucky a couple of C's. I guess we're pretty special for getting C's :P LOL the band sizes only go from 34 - 36 :P

    Gotta love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the above! Bras suck here. I don't understand the stickers still attached fad and the damn taxis are insane. They drive ridiculously slow when unoccupied and then drive like a bat outta hell when you get in. Ugh. and don't get me started on the spandex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw something interesting the other day at hte teinda 3 houses down....a lady picked up a light bulb...still in the box and handed it to the sales man....he then took it out of the box and screwed it in the lightbulb socket...to make sure it worked..she paid and walked out with her new light bulb. NOW NOW..in the US...we would of bought that sucker at walmart...took it home and it didnt work...well..we might have returned it or just threw it away...and not thought twice. Sooooo maybe we should be more careful...and demand taht things actually work before we buy them! :)

    ReplyDelete