My Little English Corner

One. Two. Buckle my shoe. Three. Four. Shut the door. Five. Six. Pick up sticks. Seven. Eight. Lay them straight. Nine. Ten. Let's count again!

This blog provides supplementary materials for English language classes.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Wal-Mart Campaign | International Labor Rights Forum

Wal-Mart Campaign | International Labor Rights Forum

Posted using ShareThis

Roughly a year ago Walmart opened up down here in San Antonio, outside of Ajijic. While many expats rejoiced, Hernan and I groaned.

When we say we miss things about the States, we mean our friends, our jobs, and dark beer. We don't mean big box stores that abuse their workers. That's part of American culture I'm not pleased to see is gaining ground in Mexico.

What I didn't realize is that Walmart de México seems to also own Bodega Aurrerá, Superama, Sam's Club, Suburbia, and Vips.

According to the website, "for the seventh year in a row [Walmart de México] was recognized as a Socially Responsible Company by the Mexican Philanthropy Center". So I looked at the Mexican Philanthropy Center's website, and found that "Philanthropic Institutions" are determined by "voluntary self-evaluation and self-regulation". Weak.

3 comments:

  1. damn. We don't go to Walmart here unless absolutely necessary.... but damn.... Superama has everything. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid anything associated with Wal-Mart as much as possible. They kill local communities and facilitate wage slavery in third world countries. They also own the VIPS and Portón restaraunts - both have mediocre, overpriced food. I started noticing that there was always one or the other near a Wal-Mart or Sam's plaza in Mexico, so I looked it up and sure enough, it's owned by Wal-Mart. All the more reason not to dine there again. Here is a great documentary on Wal-Mart, you can watch for free although the quality is low: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6548480812335235955&hl=en#

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so not gonna lie....i love Walmart in the states. We dont have a Walmart close to us in Reynosa. I cross over to go shopping. Very very nice! It's much cheaper than the grocery stores around here. I like the one stop shopping...with a 5y/o and 1y/o....one stop is sooooo much better.

    ReplyDelete